Breast Reduction and Insurance
By Dennis Hurwitz on December 02, 2012
Of all the cosmetic surgery procedures that are available, breast surgery remains one of the most popular types of procedures. This includes women who are looking to enhance the size and shape of their breasts, as well as those who would like to decrease their breast size. Patients who are looking for a breast reduction can trust Pittsburgh plastic surgeon Dennis Hurwitz to produce the surgical results they desire. When Pittsburgh patients are in need of breast reduction surgery for medical reasons, Dr. Hurwitz can also work with you and your insurance company to get coverage for the surgery.
Breast Reduction and Insurance
While there are cases where a woman is looking into breast reduction surgery for reasons that are purely cosmetic, that is usually not the case. Most patients who want breast reduction surgery are looking for relief from pain. There are many medical afflictions that result from large breasts and can lead a patient to seek breast reduction surgery.
- Back pain is a common complaint of women with large breasts, especially those who have a disproportionate body size to accommodate the size of the breasts
- Neck and shoulder pain as a result of the strain of supporting the size of the breasts
- Limited ability to perform physical activities such as sports and exercise, which can lead to a sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle
If there are medical reasons for your breast reduction surgery, it is likely that your insurance company will cover the costs of surgery either in part or full. The first step that a patient should take is talking to the insurance company. Most insurance companies will have criteria that need to be met before surgery can be covered. While these requirements will vary by insurance company, some common requirements include:
- Choosing a surgeon that is within your insurance company’s network
- Having documentation from your surgeon showing that you suffer from medical conditions as a direct result of your breast size
- Showing the need for at least half a pound of weight to be removed from each breast
- Providing photos that show the need for breast reduction surgery
- Being within a healthy weight range and in good enough health to undergo surgery
Even if these criteria are met, you will want to have a clear understanding of all the costs that will be covered. For instance, for many of our patients in Pittsburgh, liposuction is performed as a part of breast reduction surgery; you will want to know if these costs will be covered as well. Dr. Hurwitz can work with you and your insurance company to make sure that any necessary documentation is provided so that you can get the maximum coverage from your insurance company.
Schedule a Consultation
You do not need to live in pain. If you would like to learn more about breast reduction surgery, schedule a consultation with Dr. Dennis Hurwitz. Dr. Hurwitz and his staff look forward to helping you reduce your level of pain and discomfort.
Related to This
“I honestly never thought of myself as a serious candidate for elective surgery ... but I’m already feeling and looking so much better.*” Jill's Story