Plastic Surgery in Your 50s
By Dennis Hurwitz on August 24, 2015
It's not uncommon for both men and women in their 50s to feel like their outer appearance doesn't match how young they feel inside. If the face you see in the mirror looks much older than you feel, you may benefit from facial plastic surgery. There are a variety of facial plastic surgery treatments that can produce a natural looking, rejuvenated appearance. To find out which treatments can revitalize your appearance, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with our Pittsburgh cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Dennis Hurwitz.
Is Plastic Surgery Suitable for Patients in Their 50s?
Patients in their 50s often make prime candidates for plastic surgery. At this age, the skin generally responds well to surgery because it still retains sufficient elasticity. Skin elasticity is important when undergoing plastic surgery. Elasticity helps the skin “bounce-back” into place after surgery. Both men and women in their 50s should be in good general health and have realistic expectations.
Popular Treatments for Patients in Their 50s
Patients in their 50s tend to be most interested in facial rejuvenation. Those looking to remove up to ten years of aging from their appearance may benefit from the following treatments:
- Facelift: There are different types of facelifts designed to address the varying needs of each patient. Midface lift surgery is one of the most common choices for patients in their 50s. Midface lift surgery corrects areas between the mid and lower facial region to improve the appearance of nasolabial folds and jowls. Other types of facelifts include the basic, extended, and limited incision techniques, all of which can tighten the facial tissue to create a more youthful appearance.
- Eyelid surgery: Eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, can be performed to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fat pads around the eyes; these signs of aging can make a patient look old and tired. Eyelid surgery removes excess skin and fat from both the upper and lower eyelids to create a rested, rejuvenated look.
- Brow lift: Brow lift surgery helps correct the appearance of sagging brows. Brow lifts may be performed alone or in conjunction with eyelid surgery.
- Neck lift: Another common area of concern for patients in their 50s is the appearance of their neck skin which can sag and hang. Neck lifts are highly effective at eliminating excess neck tissue to create a youthful, contoured neck.
- Breast lift: Though not a facial rejuvenation treatment, breast lifts are another popular treatment for patients in their 50s. It's not uncommon for women in their 50s to have experienced some degree of breast sagging. Breast lift surgery can be used to lift the breasts and rejuvenate the bust line.
Schedule a Consultation
Don't let the signs of aging leave you feeling unhappy with your appearance. Facial plastic surgery can help make the reflection you see in the mirror match your inner youth. To find out which treatments are right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hurwitz.