BOTOX Cosmetic Can Smooth Skin for a Refreshed Look
Dr. Dennis Hurwitz offers BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment at his plastic surgery center in Pittsburgh, PA, to reduce wrinkles, crow’s feet, and furrows on the face.
BOTOX Cosmetic is a renowned, simple, and minimally invasive treatment that can achieve many of the same results as more intensive procedures. BOTOX has surged in popularity, because in the hands of a skilled practitioner, it can deliver stunning results.*
What Is BOTOX Cosmetic?
A purified protein derived from botulinum toxin, BOTOX® is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to temporarily block nerve signals to the muscles that cause movement. When injected by a qualified professional into specific areas of the face—usually the forehead, outer corners of the eyes, between the eyes, and around the mouth—it can minimize the appearance of wrinkles and lines and discourage new ones from developing.*
According to a 2014 report by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, BOTOX® is the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure in the U.S., with over six million treatments administered each year.
There is an array of benefits to receiving BOTOX® treatment*:
- It can help you achieve a more youthful appearance while avoiding surgery.
- BOTOX® can be strategically combined with fillers such as Restylane® and Sculptra®, for optimal facial rejuvenation.
- Patients who treat wrinkles between their eyes can alter their expression from one of constant anger or concern to relaxation and contentment.
- BOTOX® is quick and easy, with no recovery time required.
Your BOTOX Consultation
Before you receive BOTOX® Cosmetic, you will meet with Dr. Hurwitz to determine your candidacy and discuss your goals. In general, the best candidates are men and women at least 18 years old, who are in good overall health, and have no history of neuromuscular disease. You should not receive BOTOX Cosmetic if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a neurological disease. Make sure to discuss your full medical history with Dr. Hurwitz during your consultation.
BOTOX® can be strategically combined with fillers such as Restylane® and Sculptra® for optimal facial rejuvenation.
Candidates should have moderate to pronounced facial wrinkles in the areas that BOTOX® Cosmetic is administered, and also have realistic expectations about their results. We typically recommend treatment with BOTOX for patients with:
- Frown lines between their eyebrows
- Crow’s feet
- Horizontal brow furrows
- Lines around their nose
Dr. Hurwitz will explain the degree of improvement that you can expect and address any questions you have. If he does not think that BOTOX® will help you achieve your goals, he may recommend additional or alternative cosmetic treatments.
Alternatives to BOTOX Cosmetic
At the Hurwitz Center, we offer a comprehensive range of surgical and minimally invasive treatment options. During your consultation, you can discuss all of your options with Dr. Hurwitz. Common non-surgical alternatives to BOTOX include:
- Dermal fillers: Similar to BOTOX Cosmetics, fillers are an injectable treatment designed to smooth lines and wrinkles. However, dermal fillers, such as JUVEDERM®, work by restoring volume to sunken areas, rather than by immobilizing certain muscles.
- Fat transfer: Some patients dislike the idea of putting a foreign substance into their body. With fat transfer, your own fat tissue is purified and injected to improve volume and restore youthful fullness.
- Microdermabrasion: For mild lines and wrinkles, noninvasive microdermabrasion can sometimes offer the desired results. This treatment works by gently removing the outermost layer of skin, revealing fresh, new skin beneath.
If you are interested in pursuing more dramatic effects, Dr. Hurwitz is skilled in a range of facial plastic surgery techniques, including facelifts, brow lifts, and eyelid surgery. However, unlike BOTOX Cosmetic, these types of procedures are much more extensive and require downtime. The best way to determine which treatment is right for you is to schedule an appointment at our practice.
What to Expect
Physicians and surgeons administer all treatments with the assistance of skilled aestheticians and physician assistants. BOTOX® treatment only takes about ten minutes. Your doctor will inject the formula directly into the facial muscles that produce the targeted wrinkles.
You should typically see noticeable improvement in treated facial wrinkles within a few days of the procedure.
Because this therapy is minimally invasive, there is no downtime, and you can return to normal activities right away. You should typically see noticeable improvement in treated facial wrinkles within a few days of the procedure. The appearance of wrinkles should continue to improve for up to a month. Results typically last three to four months.*
Maximizing Your Results
There are a few steps you can take after your BOTOX Cosmetic treatment to get the most out of your injections:
- Maintain an upright position: While you can resume your normal activities immediately after treatment, make sure to keep your head upright for several hours. Bending over or laying down can cause the BOTOX material to shift and affect your results.
- Take it easy: Limiting your physical activity for at least four to five hours after your treatment can help maintain the effects of BOTOX.
- Avoid touching the area: Try not to put any external pressure on the treatment areas for at least four or five hours.
Results will vary from patient to patient. One of the best ways to prolong the effects of your BOTOX Cosmetic treatment is to receive regular touch-ups.
Our team typically recommends receiving BOTOX every four to five months. Many patients notice that their results tend to last longer after subsequent treatments, as the BOTOX material begins to retrain the muscles in the treated areas.
Potential Side Effects
BOTOX Cosmetic is a safe, FDA-approved treatment. However, some patients do experience some side effects after treatment, such as:
- Mild bruising at injection sites
- Drooping eyebrows or upper eyelids
In general, these effects are mild and temporary. Most patients find headaches and bruising subside within a day or two. Eyelid or brow drooping can take several weeks to resolve, but typically does not require additional treatment. You can prevent drooping by following post-treatment recommendations from our team.
Can BOTOX Cause an Allergic Reaction?
Though rare, BOTOX has been known to trigger an allergic reaction in some patients. Symptoms of a BOTOX allergy include:
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty swallowing
- Loss of appetite
To reduce the risk of an allergic reaction, a skin test will be performed prior to treatment. This helps Dr. Hurwitz determine if you are a candidate for BOTOX Cosmetic.
Cost Factors for BOTOX Cosmetic
BOTOX treatment fees can vary significantly depending on the geographic location of the practice and the experience of the doctor administering the treatment. On average, BOTOX cost ranges from $350 to $500 for each treatment area.
Because BOTOX is considered a cosmetic procedure, the treatment is generally not covered by medical insurance. If you are considering BOTOX and you are concerned about the cost, speak to one of our team members. We will be happy to discuss payment options with you in more detail.
Schedule a Consultation
To ensure the safety and effectiveness of treatment, you should receive BOTOX® Cosmetic only from a qualified provider. To learn more about how BOTOX® can renew your appearance and refresh your look, schedule an appointment with Dr. Hurwitz today.*
“I honestly never thought of myself as a serious candidate for elective surgery ... but I’m already feeling and looking so much better.*” Jill's Story