Mini Tummy Tuck
For patients in relatively good shape, a mini tummy tuck may be sufficient to provide the desired results. Generally, this technique is most effective if you wish to address loose skin and fat below the belly button. Mini tummy tucks are typically shorter and require less recovery time. However, this procedure may not provide results for patients with more extensive concerns.
Abdominoplasty as Part of a Total Body Lift
Patients who have lost a significant amount of weight may wish to include abdominoplasty as part of a total body lift. This procedure is designed to eliminate sagging and excess skin all over the body after dramatic weight loss, offering enhanced contours and an improved quality of life.
Preparing for Your Procedure
There are several steps you can take before your tummy tuck to help minimize discomfort during recovery:
- Quit smoking: Tobacco products can interfere with your healing process. We typically recommend patients stop smoking from at least two weeks before surgery to two weeks after.
- Eat well-balanced meals: Do not try to diet before surgery. Instead, you should maintain a healthy diet to help you heal better.
- Arrange a ride home from surgery: Tummy tucks are performed under general anesthesia so you will need someone to drive you home and stay with you for at least the first night after surgery.
- Run your errands: Picking up medications, food, and other supplies before your procedure can make the recovery process easier and more enjoyable.
You should also provide Dr. Hurwitz with a complete list of everything you take, including medications and herbal supplements. He may instruct you to change your prescription before surgery to avoid complications.
What to Expect during Surgery
Abdominoplasty is performed under general anesthesia and can take anywhere from one to five hours to complete. It requires a horizontal incision several inches below your navel. For patients who need minimal tissue reduction, the incision may be just a few inches wide. For patients who require more extensive treatment, the incision can reach to either hip or the full circumference of the midsection.
Through the incision, Dr. Hurwitz can remove fatty tissue using liposuction, tighten separated abdominal muscles, and remove excess skin. Finally, he will carefully close the incisions in a way that typically results in minimal, subdued scarring.*
Tummy Tuck Recovery
Tummy tuck patients will need to rest for two to four weeks before returning to work, depending on the extent of surgery. Following surgery, you will wear a special compression garment to help you skin conform to your new contours as you heal. Dr. Hurwitz will schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your recovery.
For at least two weeks following surgery, you will need to refrain from any strenuous physical activity. You can expect to experience some bruising and soreness surrounding your abdominal area, and Dr. Hurwitz can determine the best way to manage this discomfort.
Once your incisions have healed and the swelling surrounding your abdominal area has begun to subside, you should begin to see the results of your tummy tuck surgery.*
Maintaining Your Results following Abdominoplasty
Abdominoplasty offers dramatic results that can last a lifetime. However, to maintain their new figure, patients must practice healthy lifestyle habits, as significant weight gain can negate the effects of treatment. To maintain tummy tuck results, we recommend eating a well-balanced diet and exercising regularly. Your diet should consist of whole grains, lean proteins, fresh produce, and low-fat dairy products. An appropriate exercise regimen includes 30 minutes of cardio activity five to seven days a week.
Tummy Tuck Cost Factors
There are several factors that can affect the total cost of your tummy tuck. These may include the:
- Type of tummy tuck procedure chosen
- Specific needs of the patient
- Geographical location of your surgeon’s practice
- Experience, education, and reputation of your surgeon
- Type of anesthesia used during the procedure
To make treatment as affordable as possible, the Hurwitz Center for Plastic Surgery offers CareCredit financing.